Tuesday, May 12, 2009

diabetes and wellness

Exercise for the day: Write down what wellness means to you. Do not over analyze it. Just write down whatever comes to mind. There is no right or wrong answer. Just jot it down and hold onto it. There will be more info at the bottom of the blog.

I just changed out my insulin pump. While doing this, my four and five year old children made squeamish faces and said they do not want to be adults. They do not want to insert an insulin pump catheter into their bellies. I explain to them that the insulin pump is for diabetics, not all adults. It looks worse than it really is. Sure there is a small sting when the needle goes in, but then it is done. And throughout the day and night insulin is continuously pumping into my body. It is a a god send.

Having been diabetic for 36 years, the pump has made my life so much easier. I have much more freedom and control. And so far (knocking on wood), I am complication free. But it has taken a lot of time and dedication. You cannot walk away from diabetes. It is part of my life. But a part that has truly been a gift for it has made me get in touch with body, mind, and spirit. Wellness is essential. And it should be for all of us. In order to get the most out of our lives, we need to be well. And we can take charge of our own wellness.

But wellness does not just happen. You have to play at it. I don't want to use the word "work" because that sounds negative. So I will use the word play. I suppose you could interchange the word create too, but play is fun. And life should be fun.

So let me share a story with you. This story is a lesson in wellness at play.

A few weeks ago I got ready for a six mile run just like I do six days a week. I have been running with diabetes for 30 years so it has become part of my daily routine. I know how to adjust my pump and carbohydrate count accordingly. Yet, their can be surprises...

As I run, the warm sun and wind feels amazing on my face. By mile three, I get into a meditative state. My mind is free, and I take in the blooming trees and flowers. It is a gorgeous day. Spring is here (yay). I love the warm weather.

I get home and feel great. My husband and kids are hanging out in the living room I come in and take my running shoes off. My husband goes upstairs and I go in the kitchen with the girls. I am craving a G2 drink (I love Gatorade). Suddenly I feel nauseous. What the hell? I try to walk towards a dining room chair and the room starts to spin. This is not good. I am able to lay down on the floor. I am going to throw up..

"Mommy, are you okay?" "What is wrong". I can hear the questions but cannot think rationally. Finally the word "yes" come out of my mouth. Please don't let me lose consciousness. Please. Not in front of my kids.

"Mommy". "Are you okay". I hear the fear in my daughters voices. Please don't lose consiousness. Am I having a low blood sugar? A stroke? I am only 39. I am scared.

I ask for my purse. I finally get the glucose tabs out. They dissolve in my mouth. Luckily, I do not throw up. I do not even know if I am low, but I eat them. It seems like hours are passing when in fact it has only been minutes. I start to feel better. I test my bloodsugar, and it is now normal. A sigh of relief.

My girls are right there with me on the floor. I tell them everything is okay. And it is.

I rarely have low blood sugars like this. This came out of the blue. Nothing had changed in my day to day run. At first, I am very frustrated and angry. Why did my diabetes challenge me? And then I realize it proved to me that I am strong. I survived and the day will go on. I will put on my running shoes again tomorrow (granted I may be a little scared), and I will go out for another run.

I am well. It was a slight bump in the road, but it will be okay. The rest of the day went fine, and I did run the next morning. And there was no reoccurence. I followed up with my doctor and everything looked good.

The incident was a true test of my wellness...testing my body, mind, and spirit. It would be easy to stay mad and to never run again. But no. The running keeps my body in shape, maintains control of my bloodsugars, provides meditation for my mind, and fulfills my spirit. I love running!

When I thought about sitting on the couch and being mad and frustrated or going out for a glorious run where the benefits will stay with me all day, the answer is pretty clear.

We all face challenges in our lives. But they are simply challenges. Not the beginning or the end, but part of the journey. You may or may not have diabetes but think about your own wellness challenges. And remember, they are challenges. Wellness is life.

Michele's answer to what is wellness (and everyone's response will be different and unique): Wellness is when your body, mind, and spirit are in synch. You are well.

Follow up to the exercise for today: Are you living a life of wellness according to your definition? Why or why not. Write down one step you can take to live a life of wellness. And start doing it today.

That is all for now. Have a glorious day:)

No comments:

Post a Comment